|In 1853, Henry Burt purchased 3
acres of land containing several springs about 1/2 mile from the farm.
He installed a hydraulic ram to pump water to the farm. The ram was
the sole source of water for the family and the animals until the late
1950's when Robert had a well dug to supplement the water supply. A
ram still pumps water to the farm 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
The Principle of a Hydraulic Ram
Spring water is collected in a large tank which is
located several feet higher (in our case 13 feet) and several feet away
from the ram (in our case 75 feet).
How it Works
Pumping Night and